Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Choosing Jewelery/Accessories 101

How to Make the Best of Your Money

I have started out writing this blog with the mission of showcasing the best yet most affordable things, but it seems that along the way, I did veer somewhat off course, as I use the "moneysense" tag lesser and lesser. lol.

Now, with the new year, meaning one more year of falling and bruising for me, I am once again inspired to turn the ship back on course.
******


I don't often don accessories, as I find it rather troublesome changing them each day. However, friends and sometimes strangers approach me often enough to ask where I get my stuff from, and how to choose a good piece as a gift etc.

I personally find it strange that people ask me, but perhaps, it is because when I do wear something, I wear something eye-catching. And that, is the point of jewelery/accessories.

Jewelery/accessories are not a necessity. You will not die or break the law if you don't wear it, unlike clothes. So if you want to wear an accessory, it must enhance your dressing, and be seen. =)

With the upcoming Valentine's day, it is really time to look for a presentable gift. One of the top choices for girls would include jewelery. So this is a guide to getting something value-for-money. It doesn't matters your budget. It matters that every cent of your budget is used and the item looks like it is worth more than that.

1. Ditch the branded.
Unless the intention is to get really branded-branded, like Tiffany, Cartier, or a signature item such as Destinee, it is unlikely that people really cares whether a heart-shape is from Lee Hwa, SK, or Goldheart, unless the wearer intentionally tells others where it is bought from.

It's the same logic as gold is gold. Gold from Poh Heng is not worth more than gold from other goldsmith. For gold, invest the extra money paid for design, in heavier chains. haha.

It may be worth being aware that in marketing, high-end branded like Tiffany really does put one in an entirely different league altogether, wherein, it is worth paying to wear the brand. However, mid-level brands jewelery boutiques do not have heritage-heavy designs/manufacturing methods to render it worthwhile, paying for the brand.

2. Try alternatives like Meyson Jewelery.
They have very affordable diamonds in great cuts (Stars & Arrows).

For silver colour, explore silver shops that target teenagers. Jurong Point 2 and Tampines 1 has a good number of such shops on the first floor. NOT Perlini Silver! Couple Lab designs are too cliched, it's a dime a dozen. Don't waste money on poor designs. They have nice red boxes though.

It's much better to get shiny stainless steel, or better still, matte and anti-scratch stainless steel, because they last. If the gift is meant to be meaningful, it should last, imo. I don't want to have to throw away precious gifts from love ones after one year. I want to wear it for as long as I can.

PS: I will post a picture of my SK necklace. It's so tiny with barely-there diamonds, I'd rather top up that $198 for an iPod Nano. Can't stand the way SK advertises its $99 or $198 necklaces.

I really appreciate my gifts, but I feel indignant for my friend when the gift is not worth the money. Wore a Perlini necklace from a good friend for 2 whole years, because it is a gift from her. (Now wearing Chinese talismen crystal pendent, thus have to give up other decorative necklaces.)

3. Try crystals to get the *BLING* if you do not have a big enough budget for large well-cut diamonds.

Crystals are the best bet for sparkling, eye-catching necklaces or rings. And for about $500+++, you can get large, exclusively designed cocktail rings from Swarovski. Not to mention, Swarovski is the label for the best crystals around.

For the same $198 that SK offers, the Swarovski necklace is looks far more valuable, while the SK looks like from Pasar Malam.

PS: Probably the best of my jewelery investment is the talismen pendent I wear everyday. It is always the first thing a stranger notices, and compliments. They always say it glows very brightly. Not sure if the Shifu is really right, but accordingly, the pendent will have energy the longer you wear it, and the brighter it will glow. This brings me to the next tip:

4. Go for multi-coloured pieces.
Multi-coloured pieces match almost any clothing, so it may be worn everyday, without much thought. A friend of mine got a watch from her admirer, but she always tells me how much she likes it yet can't always wear it, because the denim strap hardly goes with her daily dressings.

E.g. Unique colours like turquoise doesn't goes with yellow, red, blue, pink, purple etc. It's just too strange that one can probably only wear it with a turquoise top, black and white.

5. Make it meaningful, go for good luck charms.
There is a reason why the 4-leaves clover company are growing in branches. They are just too popular. They have upgraded their designs to really chic ones, and they come in so many forms nowadays. Even if you do not get a jewelery, you can try handphone charms, pens, cuff links, namecard holders... ...

It seems that we can still be quite superstitious... Especially when the good luck is a gift from a loved one, the person will more or less want to carry it around.

6. Minibits is simply awesome for variety!
If you know what someone likes, and it's very specific, like a guitar, or piano, or a musical note etc, go to Minibits. They have the wides selection of designs that jewelery boutiques don't carry. It helps that the quality is tip-top. The false blings are brighter than real diamonds!

I got a one side musical note, one side guitar earring for a friend who specifically said she was looking for something like that.

7. For selection of colours, try Chomel.
Chomel is like the higher class version of Diva, imo. They have every design in every colour! Really good to pick accessories to match particular clothes. Very good for dinner-style accessories.

8. For the latest designs, go for Diva.
They have very affordable fashion-forward accessories. I love the collection of cocktail rings.

PS: Diva has really good service too. They offered to reserve a ring in my size for me, instead of simply telling me "out of stock". In the process, they also let me choose which other nearer branch I'd like to go to for the ring. The reservation is only 3 days, to cater for other people.

Hmmm, I think that's all. These are the things that I usually tell my friends when they ask me what to buy and where to go. =) All the best in your *bling* search.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar